Ami's Reviews > Event Horizon

Event Horizon by Evelyn Shepherd

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: mm-supernatural-power, mm-fantasy-paranormal-futuristic
Read on January 24, 2012

WARNING FIRST (because I know it annoys some readers): Theo is attracted to another man, Lloyd (while still in a relationship with Carlos) and there are kisses between Theo and Lloyd. FYI, Lloyd is the guy Theo saved in the previous book.

.....

This opinion will describe some of the plots; mainly for my own sake because I have bad memory when it comes to details.

The details I put under spoiler cut -- so it doesn't seem like I'm rambling: (view spoiler).

Evelyn Shepherd's The Hunting Moon is one of my favorites in 2011. So I'm deliriously happy to be able to read about Theo Bourne and Carlos Ramirez again. I am in love with Theo and all his baggages as well as Carlos with his adoration to Theo (and being possessive).

That is why, this book is playing on my nerves due to the dancing attraction between Theo and Lloyd. Theo admits that Carlos is "his lifeline, who keeps him tethered to the world, preventing him from plummeting into darkness"; unfortunately Theo is not sure that Carlos is the only one. Lloyd is clearly in love with Theo -- and oh, gosh there are kisses, which making me nervous as hell since I'm not too much of cheating plot -- but I can't hate Lyold. The whole book I'm pretty much 'biting my nails' because I'm worried that Theo will cross that line.

The plot of Carlos being influenced by Eztli reminds me a bit of one mainstream urban fantasy novella -- and Theo (just like the heroine on that one) does not back down in saving Carlos. Theo has his issues for sure, but I'm happy that when it comes to Carlos, Theo does admit that "he can't picture his life without Carlos" that "he can't barely breathe when he tries to". So when he makes that decision regarding Lloyd, it's heartbreaking, but it's the right thing. Now I hope that Lloyd can somehow finds his own happiness.

Oh, there are quite a bit number of sex scenes in this one -- but I'm not even skimming them. I read them with passion and concentration because they feel necessary. I guess, it's a sign on how much I'm engaged with these characters.

Relationship aside, the action thrills me to the core. Eztli is so evil and the image of people burned by her fire is vivid and chilling. The whole book is fast-paced and when it comes to the climax when Theo faces Eztli, is definitely an amazing fight.

I hope this is not the end of the series --- thought I won't mind a spin-off featuring Llyod.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Event Horizon.

01/24/2012
29.0% "the scene with theo and lloyd is bordering on cheating; you are playing with fire, theo, and playing on my nerves :-)"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris D'oh, this is the end of the series?! I didn't know that. :(

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami @Chris: Well, I don't really know if this is the end, but I WISH it is not. So far, there is no info on new book yet. But she seems to write one book a year. So maybe next year?

MandyM Thanks for the warnings Ami.

Chris *crosses fingers*

KindleRomance Reviews Nice review Ami!