Julia's Reviews > The Janus Stone

2095931
Jan 11, 2012

liked it
Read from January 10 to 12, 2012

This is the second book in Elly Griffith's series about Ruth Galloway, a forensic archeologist who lives in northern Norfolk, England. If you are new to the series, you will enjoy them more if you start with the The Crossing Places. In this story, Ruth is called to a Norwich building site when bones are excavated during the construction of a set of luxury apartments. While initially it appears that they may be Roman, forensic analysis reveals that they are far more recent. As Ruth investigates further, she starts to receive threats on her life, and the life of her unborn baby.

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as its predecessor. Possibly I would have liked it more if I hadn't read them so close together. There are a lot of similarities in the structure of the two novels and I hope that Griffiths doesn't continue to follow the formula quite so closely. As a mystery it's a reasonable read. Initially I thought it was going to be extremely predictable, but thankfully this turned out not to be the case. However the ending does feel a little overly dramatic.

I enjoyed the ongoing development in the relationship between Ruth and Detective Harry Nelson and also the secondary characters who reappear and develop from the first book.

And please Ruth, maybe it's time to give up living alone miles from anyone?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Janus Stone.