Antoinette's Reviews > The Rapist File: Interviews with Convicted Rapists

The Rapist File by Les Sussman

Jan 09, 2012

bookshelves: culture
Read from January 09 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

Sometimes I just have to laugh at the things I expose myself to. I have a hard time even assigning a rating to an experience like this book. At times I found it a burden to have in the room. I would tuck in under things while I slept and went about my day. I mean how do you even rate a book like this? I almost regret ever picking it up, but there is a method to my madness. I read an article on the feminist website Jezebel this December. The article, written by Ann North, talks about a study done by psychologists that compared snippets of popular men's magazines with excerpts from The Rapist File. The horrifying conclusion of the study was that men actually found the quotes from men's magazines to be more oppressive to women than actual quotes from rapists... Of course, I am only summarizing an article about an actual study. You can read the actual article and follow the link to the study on the Jezebel website: http://jezebel.com/5866602/can-you-te.... Like the researchers interviewed I would like to state that I am no prude. I know that sexual media is a very real and vital part of society. I also know that crimes against women often go unreported, and are still on the rise. I know approximately 1 in 5 women is raped. This book was published in 1991, but it still hits on very real and terrifying things that are happening now. Are we creating the monsters and then ignoring them? Or is it something more significant? I'm really not sure, but this book probably has some answers that are worth revisiting.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rapist File.