Lindsay Heller's Reviews > Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya
Read from January 09 to 10, 2012

I picked up this book because I got the rather strong and sudden impression that Rachel Cohn and David Levithan must be very fond of Dashiell Hammett. Nick and Norah was one thing, that could be a coincidence, especially with the altered spelling of the heroines name, but Dash and Lily is too obvious. Too gloriously clear. Now, why this should be a reason for someone to pick up a book is something I can't rightfully answer (and if I can't then no one can), but it was. I read 'Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist' sometime around when the movie came out. I found it intriguing, cute, and miles beyond what is usually pumped out for Young Adult audiences. I should maybe point out here that my opinion is skewed as I am in no way a Young Adult anymore. Only at heart. And maturity. Also beside the point.

'Dash and Lily' takes place on and around Christmas in New York City. Both teenagers find themselves inexplicably alone for the holiday and each need someone to reach out to in order to occupy their time and their sanity. He's finicky, bookish, and a myriad of other adjectives you can already imagine from the two I've already presented, and she's adorable, somewhat immature, and all heart. At first it's hard to believe that these two might actually hit it off, despite a shared love of perceived newness and J.D. Salinger. But eventually it becomes more and more clear that while they have many differences, they are probably what they need in another person.

It was a pleasant little book that didn't take long to read and was filled with likable and well rounded characters. And that's really what this story is about. The story meanders through the streets of Manhattan with crazed mothers, overenthusiastic friends, lots of relatives, and lebkuchen cookies, but this is really about Dash and Lily, through and through.

My only problem? Franny Glass was never going to Yale, that was never in question. She was, in fact, already in college (probably Smith or one like it) and visiting Lane Coutell at what was probably Princeton for the Yale game. She talks extensively about it. Nit-picky? Sure, but there's a bit of Dash in me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.