Julianna's Reviews > Lucky

bookshelves: animal-stories, childrens-fiction, read-2012
Recommended for: Beginning Readers Who Enjoy Animal Stories
Read on January 09, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Reviewed for THC Reviews
Lucky is a cute picture book about a spunky little dog who looses a leg in an accident, but doesn't allow his disability to hold him back. The story is a rather simple one and not quite as involved as I was expecting based on the synopsis. It is probably best suited for read-aloud with very young readers, and the easier vocabulary would be perfect for beginning readers as well. In spite of its simplicity, I cannot deny that Lucky conveys a positive message about not giving up when life throws you a curveball, as well as love and acceptance of anyone with a disability, and it does so in an upbeat way. The illustrations are a whimsical compliment to the story. There is a lot going on in the pictures that invites further exploration and interaction. My only complaint is that I wish Lucky's owner had adopted him from a shelter rather than purchasing him from a pet store. I think this would have passed along another subtle message to children about the importance of providing loving homes for all of our homeless animal friends. Overall though, Lucky was a gentle and enjoyable book that should appeal to any little one who loves animal stories.

Note: I received a copy of this book from the author via the publicist, Bostick Communications, in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky.

01/10/2012 page 36
100.0% "Cute children's book about a little dog who looses his leg in an accident but it doesn't slow him down. Review coming soon"

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian I think I might get this for my god-son.

Julianna I read it last night, and it was a cute book. The words are nice and easy for read-aloud with little ones or great for beginning readers. It has a nice message too. How old is your god-son?

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Obi (boy) is 8....Tigi (girl) is 10. They were actually adopted from Ethiopia. Though only 10 Tigi has quite a story but not for public consumption.