Robyn's Reviews > The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, paranormal-romance
Read from January 09 to 11, 2012

This book gets 5 stars from me because any book that draws me in so completely that I hurt when the heroine hurts and I cry when she cries earns my 5 star respect.

The writing is really lovely, and I don't say that often. There's a poetry to it. I enjoyed the world building, and there's a very strong sense of the setting. I love the hero, but considering my angsty wizard obsession, that was a sure thing.

The heroine is very unique. I first heard of this book at a workshop given by Leanna Renee Hieber at the 2011 Lori Foster Reader & Author Get Together (and let me tell you, I drooled over her outfit, she looked fabulous). The workshop was all about creating nontraditional heroines, and Percy's an excellent example of that. Poor girl actually identifies with the Beast in Beauty and the Beast because of her supernatural looks. So while your average romance heroine might be all "oh he'll think I'm plain," Percy's "oh he'll think I'm a monster," and that's a big hurdle for her to overcome. And watching them overcome that is part of what makes this a great read.

It's rather marvelous. There's intrigue, action, a cool mythology aspect, good vs. evil. Fun for the whole family (actually it has a bit of a YA aspect to it too, because a good deal of it takes place in a school). If you're looking for a good historical paranormal, I definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker.