Allyson R's Reviews > A Duty To The Dead

A Duty To The Dead by Charles Todd

F_50x66
Jan 10, 12

Read in January, 2012

A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd is a capturing mystery about a determined and independent young nurse, Elizabeth Crawford. After the hospital ship she was on sinks, Crawford realizes how lucky she was to survive. With this in mind, she decides to finally fulfill a promise she once made to a patient of hers whom died, Arthur Graham. Because of Crawford's strong sense of duty, curiosity,commitment to doing what is morally correct, and completing her "duty to the dead" she finds herself unintentionally pulled into trying to find the truth about the Graham family, and what the vague and seemingly meaningless message she sent was actually about.
In my opinion, as I read through the first few chapters of the book, I thought that the story moved a little slow. However, do not allow this to prevent you from continuing, because this book is full of unexpected events and outcomes, especially more towards the end. A Duty to the Dead is very suspenseful and will certainly make you want to read on. All of the characters themselves have very different personalities which greatly add to the story. Through the author's impressive writing, you feel emotionally attached to different characters, making what happens to them so much more important. A Duty to the Dead also uses actual events in World War I and gives you a good feel as to what it was like not only for soldiers, but for their families and also for the doctors and nurses who helped heal them. Overall, I thought that this was a very good book. I would recommend this to people interested in World War I and people who enjoy mystery novels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Duty To The Dead.