Eric's Reviews > Bride of New France

U_50x66
Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2012

The book is a historical fiction about French women in the 1600s who were sent by the French King to New France (Quebec) to promote the increase in population there. The protagonist, Laure, is one of those women; she goes through various ordeals and suffering and also ends up carrying a baby of a Savage (aboriginal person/Indian of Quebec).
I really didn’t like the book. I was frequently asking to myself, what’s the point of this book? And the narrative was predictable in many cases. And it was really boring and often made me say, “So what?” Like some other past books I’ve read for bookclub, I’d never read this book on my own if it weren’t for the bookclub. But then, this is the author's first debut so I might give her a little leeway; otherwise, I would give this book a single star. I also wouldn’t have any practical use for what I read, though it was very slightly interesting to learn about what it possibly would’ve liked for the pioneering women of Quebec.
One thing that was less than ideal was how I had to rush through the last 50 pages due to my limited time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bride of New France.