Traci (The Reading Geek)'s Reviews > Unbreak My Heart

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker

May 22, 12

bookshelves: ya-contemporary-challenge
Read from May 02 to 03, 2012

Melissa Walker's Unbreak My Heart is the story of Clementine who is spending the summer living on a boat with her family. Clem is happy for the escape because she began to fall for her best friends boyfriend. While on the trip though she meets James who is also sailing for the summer with his dad.

I really enjoyed Unbreak My Heart and finished this book in one day. Clementine is leaving to spend the summer on a boat with her parents and little sister. She has had a tough year at school after falling for her best friends boyfriend. She is upset and feels really guilty for it all. Clem is pretty depressed about it but she's dealing with it all in her own way. I found it hard to really connect with her and thought she was a bit overdramatic. However she is a realistic character because she isn't perfect and she makes mistakes.

I love the relationship Clem shares with her little sister Olive though. It's evident how much Olive adores her big sister. While at dock, Clem meets James who is so sweet and cheerful. It was hard not to fall in love with him. He is traveling for the summer on a boat as well with his father. I definitely wanted more James in this story.

I have been getting into reading a lot more contemporary books lately and I found that this was a good and quick read. I struggled with some parts of the story because I felt that Clem was being way to hard on herself. However, I really enjoyed the second half of the book the most. I liked that the chapters alternated between the present and what happened in the past with Clementine's friendship. It helped move the plot along and piece together what happened. I also love that this book dealt with family and I completely loved Clementine's family. Overall, I enjoyed Unbreak My Heart, it's a sweet and realistic story about growing up.

www.thereadinggeek.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbreak My Heart.