Anthony's Reviews > Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature

Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature by Jon Young

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, nature
Read from January 09 to March 12, 2012

A great book that's essentially a must-read for anyone working in outdoor education/nature connection, especially for those who will be working primarily with kids.

I'm currently an apprentice at a school in the Tracker–Wilderness Awareness School lineage. Really only being a few years into my own personal journey of nature connection, it sometimes feels kind of strange to be helping/mentoring kids along in theirs. Sometimes I feel ... unqualified. Reading through Coyote's Guide, however, was a pretty good confidence booster. There was a good mix of I don't know enough and I know so much! going though my head as I read.

Importantly, though, Coyote's Guide did a lot to help me understand a lot of the teaching and mentoring methods I was already learning, and it really helped me get a good grasp on the 8 Shields/Natural Cycle model. That's very important because we work with it a lot—almost everything we do relates to the natural cycle.

The first section, the mentor's guide (or whatever it's called), took me a pretty long time to get through. There is a lot of information to absorb/process, so it will take time. The second section, the activities guide, can be read through much faster, especially if you're already familiar with some of them.

This is a book you will probably find yourself taking notes from; there is so much good information in here.

Again, a must-read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature.