Maggie Campbell's Reviews > The Hour I First Believed

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

F 50x66
Jan 09, 12

Read in January, 2012

"'Bored!' Sally had shouted, forgetting it was the middle of the night. 'I've never been bored a minute of my life, not even at this joint!'"

"'But we also carry them forward because our blood is their blood, our DNA is their DNA. So we're intimately connected to these people whose lives- whose histories- have gone underground and become invisible to us."

"I did know that Suzy was part of us; I did not know that she could go away, and take our lives with her, yet leave our dull bodies behind. And I did not know what she was. To me she was but treasure in the bank; the amount known, the need to look at it daily, handle it, weigh it, count it, realize it, not necessary; and now that I would do it, it is too late; they tell me it is not there, has vanished away in a night..."

"'It's a curious thing about quests, isn't it, Mr. Quirk?' she said. 'The seeker embarks on a journey to find what he wants and discovers, along the way, what he needs.'"

"And that, my friends, is a solitary journey. Each of us passed individually through the birth canal when we came into this world, and each of us will be alone once again at the hour of our death."

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, for love is strong as death..." Song of Solomon

"That's the funny thing about mazes: what's baffling on the ground begins to make sense when you can begin to rise above it, the better to understand your history and fix yourself."

"An old woman who had witnesses the horrors of war returned home and still could see a forsythia bush's explosion of yellow in springtime, still could hear the music of melted snow rushing past in a nearby brook. 'Gifts from God, these sights and sounds,' she wrote. 'This placid here and now.'"

"It's me again. I just wanted to let you know that I do believe that there's life after love , and also that there is love, still, after a life is over."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour I First Believed.

03/08 marked as: read