Maya's Reviews > Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook

Experiencing God by Henry T. Blackaby

Jan 09, 2012

Read from January 09 to May 22, 2012

We read this book with our Bible study group and it was a good one to dive into with others to discuss. Blackaby covers all the different ways we can experience God and how important it is to pay attention to each of these. The overall theme of the book is to pay attention to how God could be working around you and how He wants you to be part of that. Instead of asking in prayer all the things you want, ask Him what He wants for your life, what you should jump into and for guidance.

The book discusses different ways that God can speak to his people and how each of us can experience Him as couples, in our children's lives, in the church, marketplace, and His kingdom. I will admit that at times I felt like there was story after story about Blackaby at a conference and how someone's life was changed by something he said. But if you can get past some of that there is good ideas to grasp onto and new ways to look at convening with God.

Blackaby does a wonderful job at making sure the reader understands that this whole following God thing is not easy and that you will run into hardship and obstacles as you try to follow His will for your life. I wish he would have gone into this a little more but he does an overall good job of covering it.

Best Parts:
-I always view my circumstances against the backdrop of the cross, where God clearly demonstrated once and for all His deep love for me.

-When you trust that God always gives His best, you will devote your heart to whatever assignment God gives because you know in that role you can experience everything God has in His heart for you.

-God wants a watching world to come to know who He truly is. He does not call you to get involved in His activity merely so people can see what you can do. He will call you to an assignment that you cannot accomplish apart from His divine intervention. God's assignments have God-sized dimensions.

-If you're focused on self, you'll always seek to protect yourself and pursue what is most comfortable and what most builds you up. ...But if you are God-centered, your focus remains on Him alone. Storms may rage around you, but as long as you have God in your sight, you'll stay the course.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Experiencing God.