Angela's Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: female-pov, retellings, annoying-protagonist, amazing-cover, original-concepts, fantasy, happily-ever-after, witches
Read from January 09 to 10, 2012

3.5 Stars

The reasons why I read Entwined:

1. The gorgeous cover
2. Twelve Dancing Princesses
3. What else?

Yeah... I have always hated the fairy tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. It never made sense about the fact that the princesses wanted to dance. But fairy tales always omit the important details. That is why I love retellings of fairy tales. They elaborate on the details that the Brothers Grimm or Hans Christian Anderson has stupidly left out.

Entwined was a fascinating retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. The plot just dragged me in. I read this in one sitting because there was no way I could just leave the story. There was no way I was leaving Azalea, the protagonist, stuck in the otherworld or Bramble, Azalea's sister, in a a pouty attitude. Each page made me read eagerly, flipping through the pages as fast as I could. Until I finished, I could not sleep. Which totally explains my twitching eye that I am having today.

The entrancing plot of Entwined keeps you, the reader, hooked until the last page. But there are flaws that cannot be ignored. For one, there is no explanation for the pathetic relationship between the twelve princesses and their father. It is explored and you see the relationship patched up (spoiler? no not really), but there is never a complete explanation for why the relationship is the way it is. I wanted to feel empathy for either party of the relationship, sadly, I could not.

The other buggy thing was I found the twelve princesses all so selfish. They all cared more about themselves than anyone else. Nothing mattered more than dance. There was a sisterly bond in the beginning, but as the relationships between the sisters is more fully developed, you see the selfishness in their actions. I pitied Azalea for having to deal with such sisters.

Entwined was a decent retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. I find myself preferring The Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George over Entwined, but I am not telling anyone not to read Entwined. Both are retellings of the same story, but they differ in POV and aspects of the story. While Entwined focuses on the dancing, The Princess of the Midnight Ball focuses on the magic and the poor princesses. Not everyone will enjoy Entwined, but most definitely will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.