Rhiannon Frater's Reviews > Eve

Oct 24, 12

bookshelves: lingers-in-my-psyche, looking-forward-to-the-next-one
Read from August 23 to 26, 2012

Absolutely amazing.

Those were the two words that popped into my head when I finished reading EVE. I continue to feel that way now weeks later. This is one of those books that has haunted me long after I finished.

The world that Eve lives in is incredibly frightening and brutal. It's a misogynistic world where young women are basically breeding stock, young men are raised to be slaves, and one man is king over the remains of humanity. Nothing about Eve's world is nice or comforting, which she soon discovers.

Our protagonist is very naive and not made of very strong stuff. She's been raised to fulfill a certain role in her society and even she doesn't know what it is until the big reveal. Some readers want all their female protagonist to be strong and independent out of the starting gate, but I enjoy seeing a character's evolution into a stronger, wiser person. By the end of the book Eve has evolved, but she's not done learning yet. That much is obvious and this is the first part of a trilogy.

Eve makes some really ridiculous mistakes that cost people their lives. It's not because she's stupid, but because she is naive. She doesn't understand the true brutality of her world. Also, she was always made to feel like she was the smartest girl, so she doesn't understand that in the world outside her school she's actually not that smart at all.

Thankfully, there is no love triangle, though at one point I worried about it. The romance is sweet, but not too overwhelming. That Eve falls for the boy who saves her life doesn't surprise me. Even if someone tells you your whole life that boys are bad, hormones and sexual attraction are hard to go against if you're a teenage girl.

There were some difficult parts for me to read in this book. The animal cruelty/hunting parts and the attempted rape had me squirming.

All and all this is a fantastic book. I recommend it for older teens and adults who enjoy a solid post apocalyptic tale of terror.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.

08/25/2012
65.0% "This book is so good. I'm glad I snagged it on Kindle. I've been reading it on my phone and tablet religiously ever chance I get."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Smash (new) - added it

Smash Absolutely LOVED this series. I inhaled the books. I have an ARC of book 3 if you want it... ;)

Rhiannon Frater I haven't even read the 2nd one yet. :( Dying to read the final two. I'd love to read that ARC. :)