Janice's Reviews > Anthem of a Reluctant Prophet

Anthem of a Reluctant Prophet by Joanne Proulx

Jun 30, 08

did not like it
bookshelves: popular-craptacular, young-adult

i really wanted this to be good. i really did. and now i wonder why. why did i want it to be good? because it had a cool cover? because it had a sufficiently creepy premise? probably the cover.

what i found, instead of a good book, was overdone teenage macho crafted by a woman of indeterminate age who apparently thinks all 17-year old boys are assholes who will listen to anything.

is it authentic to talk constantly about tits and dope and offer no redeeming character at all? it may be, but i lived through my own teenage years in total fear of creatures that looked, from the outside, just like this one, so i don't find him endearing or fully-created. i find him over the top in a way that makes my skin crawl.

this book meanders and wanders, promising some sort of direction only to take it away again. the protagonist realizes he has a creepy power, which strikes a few times in a row and then disappears for vast numbers of pages while he goes to see the red hot chili peppers (who cares?)and hits on his dead friend's girlfriend. there is a mysterious uncle held over our head, who fails to really materialize, or mean anything. the realization at the end, the supposed enlightenment of who your friends really are and how you should take care of them, is too long coming and, frankly, incredibly flat.

if i hadn't been sick when i read this, i would probably have thrown it against the wall and gone outside to let the fog wash clean my brain. instead i finished the damn thing and then threw it against the wall and then tried to sleep. to no avail. sigh.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthem of a Reluctant Prophet.

Neebs I agree. 100%.