Jasmine Hawamdeh's Reviews > Free the Children

Free the Children by Craig Kielburger

U_50x66
Jan 09, 12

This is one of those books, that whenever I need inspiring or need to reconsider how lucky I am to live the life I live or to push myself to work harder I read this. I have not took the time to read this one for awhile but I did it. I have read many books by Craig Kielburger (because he is someone that I mentor, look up to, and push myself to be like) so I think that is why I basically picked out this book. It is an auto-biography and a really inspiring one. You start with 12 year old Craig reading the Toronto Star newspaper, searching for the comics when he comes across an article that says "Battled Child Labour, Boy, 12, Murdered." He reads it. And finds out that the boy's name is Iqbal Masih and he was a child labourer, who stood up for himself and got himself shot because of that. Craig was inspired by the story so he decided to go to his class and asked "who wants to change the world with me?" 11 hands shot up and just like that "Free the Children" was born. It was his courage that day that started a movement of thousand and thousand of people changing the world.
This book is many that I will never forget by Craig Kielburger, his passion about child labour is very evident in his bio.
I finished this book because anyone who has a heart, when they start reading it won't want to stop because of the sadness, inspiration, determination, and passion that bursts out of this book.
I would recommend this book to everyone in the whole world because this book will change your whole perspective about what you live in and how people take advantage and don't appreciate what they have.
If everyone in the world read this book, and they had a heart I honestly think it would be a better place to live in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free the Children.