Charles's Reviews > Choices 86,400 a Day

Choices 86,400 a Day by Lauren  Alexander

M 50x66
Jan 11, 12

Read in December, 2011

Good fiction should open us to new ideas and ways of approaching life as seen through another’s words, and great fiction also demonstrates how to exploit language in an artfully constructed story. I think Shakespeare and Faulkner are considered great writers by achieving such high levels in these regards.
Although works of non-fiction should be held to similar high standards, seldom is it found.
Alexander’s book, Choices, 86,400 a day, illustrates that it can be done.
Words of wisdom sometimes can be clever, but not particularly enlightening or helpful: “early to bed, early to rise ...”. Others can succinctly, but prosaically, guide us in the right direction like a road sign: “begin with the end in mind”. Alexander has raised the bar for books of aphorisms by using imagery and poetic language to put an unusual spin on events that occur in everyday life. I was frequently caught off guard by the direction she would go with her observations, with simplicity and profound depth being demonstated in a crafty manner.
This is a must-read book that is enlightening but also enjoyable to read. You will be going back to reread it over and over again.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choices 86,400 a Day.

Quotes Charles Liked

Lauren  Alexander
“If you have to pencil in your passion, you're just wasting time.”

Lauren  Alexander
“If you're not happy with yourself, don't count on being happy with anyone else.”

Lauren  Alexander
“A life unconsidered is a slow death.”

Lauren  Alexander
“We can reconstruct yesterday or construct today. We don't have time to do both.”

Lauren  Alexander
“If you are having trouble with someone,
you may be having more trouble with yourself.”