Barbara's Reviews > My Uncle Martin's Words for America: Martin Luther King Jr.'s Niece Tells How He Made a Difference

My Uncle Martin's Words for America by Angela Farris Watkins

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: civil-rights, picture-book
Read in January, 2012

In engaging style from an insider's perspective, the niece of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. gives her version of how the great man used words to change the world. By beginning with the changes that many of us are likely to take for granted such as an African American president or a Supreme Court justice, Watkins provides perspective on just how far we actually have come since the days of Jim Crow laws and segregation. The text highlights the words that mattered to King and the words that comprised his message, including love, nonviolence, justice, freedom, brotherhood, and equality while describing the protesting, marching, speaking, and writing that would make a change in practices and laws, effectively insuring that civil rights would be protected by law. The illustrations are appealing and eye-catching, showing the human side to this famous figure. Back matter including notes from the author and illustrator as well as a timeline showing how protests resulted in changes in the law, a glossary, and additional references adds to this picture book's appeal. This one would fit well with a text set using Doreen Rappaport's Martin's Big Words.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Uncle Martin's Words for America.