Lord Beardsley's Reviews > Dance Dance Dance

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

Sep 07, 07

bookshelves: read2007
Recommended for: people who have already read the wind-up bird chronicle and who are somewhat forgiving
Read in July, 2007

Murakami reached his top form with The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and followed it with the (not as good, but still fantastic) Kafka On The Shore. That being said, this novel was written in 1988 when Murakami still had a ways to go.

The same elements of his style are all here: the main character who is somewhat a loafer and who takes pleasure in simplistic daily routines, the precocious young female character who he sort of falls in love with but is more just friends with, the elements of magical surrealism, the search for something missing...etc. It makes me sort of nervous, because I'm realizing that the author tends to rely a bit too much on formula...but it's a formula I enjoy.

This story began with promise, but ended up as meandering and seemed to go nowhere. His friendship with the younger girl Yuki creeped me out...some of the stuff he would say to her was...well...disgusting...at some point I just wished the main character would go all Humbert Humbert and just deal with it already instead of just be sort of a gross quasi-perv. The only thing worse than a pederast is a passive aggressive one.

If this had been the Murakami I had started out with, I don't think I'd have read any of his other works. But trust me, he's good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance Dance Dance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

laura Wow, I totally agree with the points you make, especially in the last two paragraphs.
You are also correct when you say he uses a formula. I thankfully enjoy that formula, but I am finding now that if I am going to read Murakami, I must be prepared for the mood that will overcome me.

message 2: by Pierre (new)

Pierre A pederast is a man who is engaged in an erotic relationship with an adolescent boy, not a little girl.