Virginia Hill's Reviews > Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, fiction, read-2012
Read from January 09 to 21, 2012

I really wanted to like this book. I love mysteries, and, of course, Darcy and Elizabeth. What happened? Was it the lack of a compelling enough mystery? Definitely. Of course, I wanted to find out what happened to Denny. I never believed Wickham had killed his best friend. The murder, as confessed by the perpetrator, read like a whim to me. The motive? Unsubstantiated as to exactly what had occurred and who was at fault. Revealing that Denny was innocent of all but his association with the "wrong sort".

I also felt the explanations offered by Wickham, Colonel Fitzwilliam, and Darcy for their past decisions and actions were disappointing. I was looking for more mystery. More meaning. More oomph.

I did like discovering more about the characters as created by this author, but found some of her insights into the characters completely of Jane Austen's creation to be disturbingly different from my own. I'll always prefer the Darcy and Lizzy of Jane's imagination, but that doesn't mean I won't want to explore other authors' interpretive works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Comes to Pemberley.

01/14/2012 page 107