Hotspur's Reviews > Eaters of the Dead: The Manuscript of Ibn Fadlan, Relating His Experiences with the Northmen in A.D. 922

Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton

Jun 30, 08

Crichton's take on BEOWULF is without a doubt, my favorite novel of that author and of course, the best thing he has ever done. C. outdoes himself in the characterization of Ibn Falid, as well as larding the book with tons of historical detail. I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eaters of the Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim i agree with Hotspur. a great book. fun to reread every couple of years.

message 2: by Neb (last edited Jul 01, 2008 10:33AM) (new)

Neb Wow, I need to read this again, especially since I just saw the recent all-CGI version of Beowulf and need to purge it from my brain. OK, it's such a mangled version that it doesn't resemble the original much, but I digress. Crichton's novel is tops. Haven't seen "The 13th Warrior" because of movie-adaptation-phobia.

Hotspur The 13th Warrior is actually quite good, and I'm no Antonio Banderas fan. I found it pretty faithful to the original work.

The actors for the Vikings were outstanding.

message 4: by Neb (new)

Neb Ah, that's a relief. Will see if the local library has a copy (I'm sure they do)...

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim i enjoyed the movie too. when the drone's life i live becomes too, too tedious a movie like the 13th warrior helps stiffen my spine and steady my resolve (at least for a couple of hours). i picked it up used for a couple of bux. it's been a very good investment.

Hotspur The movie and more so, the book, speak to values of sacrifice and courage. Even in a colorless age, this theme is attractive to many.

H.