Hayley's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Aug 31, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Hayley Liked

Veronica Roth
“Peter would probably throw a party if I stopped breathing.'

'Well,' he says, 'I would only go if there was cake.”

Veronica Roth
“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”

Veronica Roth
“And is it selfish of me to crave victory, or is it brave?”

Veronica Roth
“Why do people want to pretend that death is sleep? It isn't. It isn't.”

Veronica Roth
“Do the elevators work?" I ask Uriah, as quietly as I can. "Sure they do." says Zeke, rolling his eyes, "You think I'm stupid enough not to come here early and turn on the emergency generator?"
"Yeah," says Uriah. "I kinda do.”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“Moths," repeats Will. "You're afraid of moths?"

"Not just a cloud of moths," she says, "like...a swarm of them. Everywhere. All those wings and legs and..." She shudders and shakes her head.

"Terrifying," Will says with mock seriousness. "That's my girl. Tough as cotton balls."

"Oh, Shut up.”

Veronica Roth
“Four flips the gun in this hand, presses the barrel to Peter's forehead, and clicks a bullet into place. Peter freezes with his lips parted, the yawn dead in his mouth. "Wake. Up," Four snaps. "You are holding a loaded gun, you idiot. Act like it.”

Veronica Roth
“We could visit him," suggests Will. "But what would we say? 'I didn't know you that well, but I'm sorry you got stabbed in the eye'?”

Veronica Roth
“What did you do, memorize a map of the city for fun?” says Christina.
“Yes,” says Will, looking puzzled. “Didn’t you?”

Veronica Roth
“Looks like someone had a mood swing.” She rolls her eyes. “Like you don’t want to
know what his fears are. He acts so tough that he’s probably afraid of marshmallows
and really bright sunrises or something.”

Veronica Roth
“Human reason can excuse any evil; that is why it's so important that we don't rely on it.”

Veronica Roth
“Two things you should know about me; The first is that I am deeply suspicious of people in general. It is my nature to expect the worst of them. And the second is that I am unexpectedly good with computers.”

Veronica Roth
“His absence will haunt their hallways, and he will be a space they can't fill. And then time will pass, and the hole will be gone, like when an organ is removed and the body's fluids flow into the space it leaves. Humans can't tolerate emptiness for long.”

Veronica Roth
“People tend to overestimate my character," I say quietly. "They think that because I'm small, or a girl, or a Stiff, I can't possibly be cruel. But they're wrong.”

Veronica Roth
“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.”

Veronica Roth
“I wish I could say I felt guilty for what I did.

I don't.”

Veronica Roth
“I'm going to shoot a muffin off Marlene's head.”

Veronica Roth
“Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.”

Veronica Roth
“A chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Veronica Roth
“Maybe there's more we all could have done, but we just have to let the guilt remind us to do better next time.”

05/27 marked as: read