Lynn's Reviews > To the End of the Land

To the End of the Land by David Grossman

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: literary-fiction
Read from January 09 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Ora, a woman who is young during the 1967 War loves two men who fight for Israel with her. She has children with both, marries one and longs for the other. Now the husband has left with his son for a trip to South America and her youngest son has been called up to serve with the Israeli army one last time. Her distress causes her to seek out her former lover and father to the youngest. She lures him on a hike to on the Israel Trail, a path that lines the entire country, North to South. On the way, she rekindles the relationship she has with him and forces him to listen to her tales of his son whom he rejected before birth. Why he did left her and why the relationship is still strong is part of the narrative. A woman mourning for the living of Israel and the constant fighting that has encompassed their lives is an overall theme in this book. I found it very interesting and readable but the ultimate heartbreak wasn't there for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the End of the Land.

01/09/2012 page 48
8.0% "read a very confusing but entrancing opening to the novel. beginning takes place in 1967."
01/11/2012 page 115
20.0% "ora went to pick up her son as he was discharged from the Israeli army but an emergency calls him vacillate in service temporarily. ora starts back home with her Arab driver and a young Arab boy who needs to get to a hospital in tel Aviv. boy is handicapped and cant keep down much food. messy!"
01/13/2012 page 269
46.0% "ora is hiking with Avram, a lovervand soldier from 1967 War. She tells him about their child, who has been called back into the military as well as her oldest son, Adam and his father who are traveling to South America for the year. Avram has shell shock from being a POW where he was tortured and buried alive for a short time."
01/17/2012 page 324
56.0% "ora and Avram run into a hiker who mentions bad news but they don't ask for details. they also run into feral dogs who threatened them. a female dog takes food and water from Ora."
01/19/2012 page 464
80.0% "I am more engrossed in the story. it's kind of a Jules and Jim of Israel book. Woman loves two men during 1967 War, marries one, has children by both. One man stays, other was damaged as POW in the war. Now the woman, Praia trying to rekindle her romance with Abram, the man who left after the other man and his son have left the. country probably for good and Abram's son is fighting in a current conflict."
01/19/2012 page 519
89.0% "A flashback tells the story of how Avram became lost in the war and captured by the Egyptians. Avram had his radio on it was traced by the enemy to his location."
01/20/2012 page 581
100.0% "I finished the book. now where do I write my review?"