Sherri's Reviews > Small Town Sinners

Small Town Sinners by Melissa C. Walker

Jan 17, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books

Overall I thought this book was very well crafted and it is obvious that the author did a great deal of research. I appreciated that the characters examined double standards that sometimes exist in churches and that they explored their feelings about the religion they had grown up with. I got the sense that it needed to become "authentic" for them. My only complaint with the book is that the author labels the church and its attendees in the book Evangelicals (I think the book would have been just as powerful without a label -- perhaps more so.) For instance, the examples she uses to portray the adult characters doesn't hold true with the Evangelical Christians I know. The author portrays them as very "fire and brimstone" rather than "grace oriented" as most Evangelicals are. I think it would have been better to let the reader to determine in his or her imagination which sect of Christianity these folks belonged to. With that said, I believe the author's overall goal was to show the extremes that religion can take and how this can impact kids growing up in this type of scenario. That being the case, this was well done and thought-provoking.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Town Sinners.