Mary's Reviews > Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

F_50x66
Jan 09, 12

Dave: "Whatcha reading?"

Me: "Memories of My Melancholy Whores."

Dave: "Well, I had to ask, didn't I."

This was my first read of a Gabriel Garcia Marquez book.

And beneath the subject of prostitution, it is essentially a story about aging, and about memory.
The main character, 90 years old, tells of the ways that we become more, not less, as we age. More intense, more provoked, more alive, more intentional.

Some wonderful quotes:

"I became a man of easy tears. Any emotion that had anything to do with tenderness brought a lump to my throat that I could not always control..."

"I think it is against nature for man to get along better with his dog than his wife, to teach it to eat and defecate on his schedule, to answer his questions and share his sorrows."

"It occurred to me that among the charms of old age are the provocations our young female friends permit themselves because they think we are out of commission." (on why younger women are so tender with old old men, they believe them to be sexless.)

"For the first time in my long life I felt capable of killing someone." (on elder rage)

"Those who do not sing cannot even imagine the joy of singing."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories of My Melancholy Whores.