Denny's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from January 09 to 18, 2012

With all the classic monsters lately being defanged as sparkly abstinence parables, it's nice to read a horror story that's actually meant for thinking adults. The novel kicks off with Jacob, our narrator, being informed that he is the titular last living werewolf, and therefore the lone remaining target of a worldwide hunt. What follows has enough shadowy international organizations, spycraft, luxury travel, and gunplay to fill a James Bond movie (I kept imagining Daniel Craig, our most recent Bond, as the protagonist). But deep down I see The Last Werewolf about a man's growth from adolescent sex obsession to mature romantic love--even though Jacob doesn't physically age. All the initial talk of werewolf erections and libido is a little jarring, but is a fair enough estimation of the mind of any male teenager. Plus it serves mainly to highlight the dramatic change in priorities after Jacob starts to develop a genuine romantic (although still sexual) relationship. And after all, aren't all the great monster stories (except, I suppose, Frankenstein) about the conflict between sexuality and romance? At least this one treats the subject with the maturity and intelligence it deserves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.

01/09/2012 page 90