Paul Darcy's Reviews > Rogue Squadron

Rogue Squadron by Michael A. Stackpole

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction

by Michael A. Stackpole, published in 1996.

Yes, it’s a Star Wars novel all about Rogue Squadron which, as I’m sure you know, was instrumental in blowing up the Death Star at the end of Star Wars the movie.

But, there is no Han Solo, Princess Leia or Luke Skywalker in ‘X-Wing Rogue Squadron. But how can this be? Well, this series of Star Wars novels (9 in all) is only about Rogue Squadron, lead by Wedge Antilles, and that elite X-Wing fighter group and their further exploits after the fall of the Emperor and Darth Vader.

And I guess technically the X-Wing novels also include Wraith Squadron which comes into play in book 5, but since I’m not there yet I’ll just pretend the above paragraph encapsulates the series. Majority rules and all that.

So what is ‘X-Wing Rogue Squadron’ like? It’s a pretty decent action adventure novel with a few rough edges but otherwise conforms to my view of the Star Wars universe. You see Darth Vader and the Emperor may be no more but Ysanne Isard, the director for Imperial intelligence, is now in control of the Empire from Coruscant and she rules with all the iron fist fun of the old Emperor, less the pesky dark side of the force.

From what I read and can gather about the X-Wing series it is the tale of how the Rebels take over the Imperial seat, Coruscant itself. And this, the first of the series, deals with how Rogue Squadron plays its part in securing a foothold on a system which can then be used to strike at the center of the Empire.

We see that “It’s a trap” admiral Ackbar is in charge of fleet operations and has discussions with Wedge about the Rogues missions and how to best go about them, but Ackbar does not play a star role in this novel. That place belongs to Corran Horn, a hotshot pilot from Corellia. We see most of the novel from his perspective and some from the evil Isard as well. Wedge, though he is the leader of Rogue Squadron seems to be on the periphery most of the time and his character seems a bit two dimensional at times. Still this does not distract from the novel which has some pretty decent fight scenes in it.

But it is a first novel and there are many new names to remember and that’s where the crew roster in the front of the book comes in handy as you can check and see what race and who so and so is if you get lost.

I found the book a pretty fast read without a whole lot of complexity and it does help if you know what the ships of the Star Wars universe look like as well as the different races. Then again if you are reading a Star Wars novel you likely know those things already so this should not be a problem.

I will read the rest of the series to see how things turn out. It is good to have more Star Wars universe to read about after those three latest movies, which I try to forget at every opportunity.

If you like Star Wars, you will likely find this X-Wing book a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rogue Squadron.