willaful's Reviews > The Sookie Stackhouse Companion

The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: story-novella-or-anthology, snoozeville, nonfiction
Recommended for: only diehard fans of the series
Read from January 08 to 12, 2012, read count: <1

I started this on audio and enjoyed the narration of the first part, a Sookie story called “Small-town Wedding.” But the next section, a timeline of the events of every book in the series, was about as interesting to listen to as the “begat” section of the Bible, so I switched to ebook. Which wasn’t much better, but at least I could easily skip.

The timeline also includes a filling in of off-screen conversations/emails from the books (not written by Harris) and who would have thought something called “The Secret Dialogues of Bill and Eric” could be so incredibly boring? There are a few chuckles, but mostly it’s just information that didn't need to be in the story, presumably why it wasn’t there to begin with.

Much of the rest of the book continued to feel like filler. I guess I’m not the intended audience -- which is pretty odd, since I’ve read all the Sookie books and watched the television show. But I think you’d have to be a die-hard fan to be interested in the endless trivia questions, recipes, and hype about Harris’s fan club. Question and answers with Harris and with Alan Ball (producer of “True Blood”) were the highlights and I suppose the timelines and dictionary of characters could be occasionally useful for reference. But for myself, I'm glad I got both the ebook and audio from the library.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sookie Stackhouse Companion.