Matt Chic's Reviews > Big Man: Real Life & Tall Tales

Big Man by Clarence Clemons

Jan 09, 12

I got this the day after the world lost the Big Man, Clarence Clemons.

I'm a big Springsteen fan, so I don't know why I didn't read it sooner, but reading it when I did had a different impact on me than I think it would have had I read it before he died.

If you've seen the E Street Band in the last few years, you could tell Clarence was hurting. I mean they're all getting old, but y'know...

So it's not like he was complaining the whole time or whatever --if anything it was just the opposite-- but you do learn about all the shit he was going through towards the end of his life. It's clear he knew his time was getting shorter, and while he kept his spirits high and did everything he could to put on the best show he could --I got this feeling that he was content and knew the end was near.

I don't want that to sound weird or depressing --that's not the vibe of the book at all.

My favorite part involves a conversation he has with Robert DeNiro, and I won't spoil it here, but it's an awesome piece of until-recently unknown bit of Springsteen/Taxi Driver trivia. That's all I'll say.

My only complaint about this book is that it bounces from real life stories, to ones "based" on real life adventures or inspired by. Basically it's Clarence writing fictional stories about his life. It's an interesting idea I guess, but I was more interested in learning who the Big Man really was, as opposed to made-up adventures.

Recommended if yer a Springsteen fan, pop culture music fan even. If yer not though, it might only be okay as it is a lot of stories about being on the road with Bruce and the E Street Band, and that sorta thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Man.