Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > Arcania

Jan 22, 12

bookshelves: arc-from-publisher, read-in-2012, reviewed, young-adult, fantasy
Read from January 09 to 11, 2012

To be posted on Page Turners Blog:

I was both excited and skeptical when I began reading Arcania. Excited because I thought that the summary sounded positively enthralling. But skeptical because of the "interactive" element to it. You see, the new Coliloquy books are interactive books. Readers determine which path the stories take and new segments are automatically downloaded onto their Kindle. To me, this sounded like electronic versions of Choose Your Own Adventure books, which I vaguely remembered from my childhood as being less-than-wonderful. Happily, the Coliloquy title Arcania was much much better than that.

At first, I worried that Adia and I were not going to mesh well-- her relationship with her boyfriend seemed a bit too clingy for my tastes, but once she was off into the world of Arcania itself, things changed. Adia became a character that I loved. She was frustrated with her seeming inability to master her new Arcania, but didn't become whiny. She worked her butt off for every little thing she got and won me over easily as I got to know her.

The same is true of many of the other characters like Seger, Finola, and Grey-- people that I wasn't all that crazy about in the beginning, but I grudgingly had to accept their behavior as realistic given the circumstances. I think that was part of what I loved about Maverick's writing-- she didn't cater to what someone would like right away. She created a good story and believable characters and let that be what I fell in love with.

Maverick's world fascinated me: between the war going on, the training school that Adia winds up at, and the magic itself. It's exactly the kind of story that is great fun to fall into and live vicariously through.

Needless to say, I can't wait for the next "episode" of Arcania to come through the Coliloquy platform.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcania.

11.0% "Ah! First time for me to make a decision! What if it's not the right one?! #chooseyourownadventureproblems"
50.0% "I'm liking the story... but have only had to make a decision once, so I'm a little confused about the platform premise right now."
71.0% "Ooo yay! Choice 2! I went for one that I thought would draw out the mystery"