Mark Mortensen's Reviews > Cleopatra: A Life

Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: history, biography, italy-history
Read from January 09 to 16, 2012

Cleopatra is always a very fascinating subject; however I couldn’t get the flow of this book. It’s a personal thing, but I’m always interested in viewing an author’s take on whether Anthony and Cleopatra were in fact married. Does it really matter? In a way no, but in a way it certainly does. The author writes about their long love affair and tends to side with the known fact that “Roman standards” did not acknowledge their marriage. My very professional tour guide in Ephesus firmly stated they were married and in fact they came to the ancient city to honeymoon and receive gifts. It appears that historians to the west do not recognize their marriage, while eastern historians do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleopatra.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Larry I thought that the introduction was the most interesting part of the book, and that the rest didn't quite live up to it. You (and your guide) make a judgment about Cleopatra being married that she seems to have made herself, viewing Caesarion as his father's rightful heir. It's an important point.

Mark Mortensen I guess I thought their marriage might be more straightforward and even listed as such in the index. I’m amazed at the number of books you read and I look forward to your insight. Your reviews of the new releases will be important to me as I am a rather slow reader and purchase only a few new books each year. I tend to find plenty of books that interest me in the used book stores.

Larry Let's hear it for used books. My library has two used book sales a year, so it's a major source of books both to be checked out and purchased. You can't beat a good read for a buck.