Mary's Reviews > Lost Boy Lost Girl

Lost Boy Lost Girl by Peter Straub

Jun 30, 08

bookshelves: mystery-crime-fiction, sf-f, best-of-2008
Recommended for: everyone who likes scary stories
Read in June, 2008

What a great spooky story!
Writer Tim Underhill travels back to his small hometown, Millhaven, to attend his sister-in-law's funeral. While there, he learns that she committed suicide. He comforts his distant brother and his 15 year old nephew as best he can, then goes home. Shortly after returning to New York, Tim must again travel back to Millhaven because his nephew has disappeared. As he attempts to unravel the mysteries of his sister-in-law's suicide and his nephew's disappearance, Tim discovers a ghost story, a haunted house and a murderer.
I used to read Peter Straub a lot and this story has me wondering why I ever stopped. This was a real page turner! The points of view and tense vary throughout so that at different times you learn the result of something that happened in the past, then you read what actually happened to cause that result. You quickly form a bond with some of the characters and wish the story could just go on when it has ended. Highly recommended for fans who prefer their horror without a lot of gore.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Boy Lost Girl.