Chris Meigh's Reviews > The Drowned World

Feb 06, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed
Read from January 14 to February 06, 2012

I'd give it a 2.5, but that's not an option.
I purchased The Drowned World because I was told it was Ballard's first and finest work. Though it was his first; it certainly wasn't his finest.The concept of the novel was brilliant and the description was beautiful in parts. The way Ballard conjures up the images of a world ruined by the sea is great but I felt that the problem was the characters.

His writing style is brilliant but unlike another on of his books, High Rise, I found the characters shallow, not likeable and frankly boring. Due to this I struggled to enjoy it and felt that the narrative would have been better if more time was dedicated to character development. Characters simply disappear for large amounts of time then come back again. Unless you read the book in one solid lump then time is needed to reacquaint yourselves with the character.

Having said this, and I must admit I did not really enjoy the book, the last 20/25 pages were quite gripping and I did get into it. Unfortunately this happened to late for me.

However this will not deter me from reading more of Ballard's work; an author I think was visionary. Especially for his time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowned World.

01/14/2012 page 10