Cody's Reviews > Fractured Light

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: owned, e-book, reviewed-sar, read-in-2012
Read from March 14 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

Synopsis:

Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After the Vykens killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. But she never felt ready to face them—until now. Defying the Auran Council and everything she’s been taught, Llona must learn to use her power over light as a weapon if she wants to survive.

My Thoughts:

I was not expecting such a fantastic read! Almost instantly, you fall in love with Llona and are thirsty to find out more about her and her abilities. Of course there is a boy involved (and I think he may be a new addition to my list of book boyfriends!) and I found myself wishing they would just get married and make babies already itching for them to be together. The characters (all-including the secondary and even background characters) are well-developed and I feel that they are very easy to relate to. I wound up loving Llona’s friends as much as her.

The bad guys in this story, the Vykens, were a bit of a surprise. Going by their name alone, I would’ve guessed they were some sort of paranormal Viking, but the reality was a bit more interesting I think. These guys make me not want to be alone in the dark. Ever. Rachel did a great job of creeping me the f*@k out building suspense and making me feel like I should look around the corner at all times! Never trust anyone. Ever. Even your friends.

In a story like this, I think it’s fairly easy for an author to get lazy and allow the characters to scatter all over the place and the story would lose some of its focus, but I think Rachel did a great job in making sure that the plot and subplots all worked well together. The plot within the book may have been slightly predictable, but I still felt like it was believable. There really wasn’t a time where I can say, “That went a little too fast,” but there are parts that I was DYING to read more. (I won’t say what, because that might give a spoiler) Finally I had a book that I was craving more time to read it so that I could find out what happened next, and had to force my BF to give me some of that time! This is definitely a book that I recommend should be added to all YA readers’ TBR piles. I will be counting down the days until I can read book two, Fractured Soul. **hint, hint Rachel… I need the sequel ASAP. NEED it, I say!!!**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fractured Light.

03/15/2012 page 50
16.0% 1 comment
03/15/2012 page 196
63.0% "I am IN LOVE with this book so far!!! I cannot wait to write a review for it!"
03/15/2012 page 261
84.0% "I'm seriously addicted. Someone help me. #AmazingBallsOfLight"