Anna Penner's Reviews > Here If You Need Me: A True Story

Here If You Need Me by Kate Braestrup

Jan 09, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

As an agnostic with no current ties to organized religion, it may seem unlikely that I would choose to read a book largely about ministry. It has ended up on my read list because of its (delivered) promise to focus more on human interactions.

I found many of the stories engaging. The individuals involved were described to reflect complex and layered identities and experiences, not falling back on stereotypes. The discussion of religion was interesting.

I've given this book a 3 star rating because many of the stories seemed too neatly and quickly summarized, focused more on a heartwarming ending than anything else. The story of the author's new love at the end of the book seemed particularly hurried and contrived. (Which is not to say that the relationship is contrived, of course, but its inclusion in the book and method of telling was.) I would also have liked a more detailed telling of her religious journey and beliefs, which would have added perspective to her approach to situations and stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here If You Need Me.