Paul Darcy's Reviews > The Guns of Avalon

The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy

by Roger Zelazny, published in 1972.

Prince Corwin, one of the remaining of eight princes in Amber, has plumbed the depths of his character while managing to survive a terrible ordeal thrust upon him in the first novel. Not only survive his ordeal (yes, being cryptic - don’t want to give away the details) by escaped and now plans once again to gain his rightful place in Amber as its king.

But as with all great fantasy nothing can be achieved easily and Corwin sure has his challenges ahead of him. So, the super short synopsis is; Corwin survives, schemes then prevails, but not without great peril and not in the way he anticipated.

What can I really say that hasn’t already been said about the Amber novels? How about this - they are short and don’t need to be 800 + pages per volume. To me the shortness is an absolute pleasure and almost seems a lost skill.

But don’t be fooled, there is much inside each “short” Amber novel and you will want to read them again as I am doing, but you won’t need to book off on a year’s hiatus for each volume to do it.

As the title suggests Corwin makes his way to Avalon, at least one variation of it in Shadow, and meets someone he would rather not, but his previous ordeal has changed his appearance and he is not easily recognized.

He regains strength over several months and he has a plan based on something he remembers from long ago. What a very cool plan indeed, but I can’t say. Just look to the title for the hint.

Which reminds me that in Amber, the one true world, nothing mechanical works. Like cars, computers, robots, etc. I’ve laid enough hints now, time to move on.

Maybe not quite as satisfying as the first in the series, The Guns of Avalon still packs a ton of surprises and the ending to the book is nothing short of the best in excitement to lure you to the next volume. Did I mention these novels are not long?

I could also mention that a black road has appeared over the years, Corwin believes it had to do with his curse in the first novel, and it intersects all the Shadow worlds and even encroaches on Amber itself. This just adds to the external problems Corwin needs to deal with. As if his brothers weren’t bother enough.

Well, I’ve said enough about this, the second Amber novel, now get out there and read them.

You won’t be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guns of Avalon.