Paul Darcy's Reviews > Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites

by Richard Adams, published in 1972.

Now, before I begin, I’m just going to say I am totally bias about this book. It is one of the top five books ever on my most loved list. I am going to have a hard time not blithering on about just how fantastic this novel is, but I will try to be objective.

It’s a tale about rabbits. Yes, rabbits.

But it is so very much more than that. It’s also a classic formula of the quest and the fight for survival and freedom, and what it is to be a bunny . . .

The characters are unique and almost perfect, and they are rabbits. It is a grand adventure, for me at least, almost up to the standard of Lord of the Rings. We see the world from the rabbit’s point of view, and it is truly fantastic.

Like, A Clockwork Orange, you will need to learn new words which, in rabbit talk, mean certain things. But believe me, by the end of the novel you will be reading them as easily as you are reading this. I can’t say enough good things about this novel. It has it all. You will cheer for the rabbits, you will cry for the rabbits, and you will almost forget they are not actual characters but fiction.

One of the coolest parts of the book for me are the tales of El-ahrairah and the Black Rabbit. A complete world mythology for rabbits as grand as any we humans have come up with so far. Fantastic stuff. This book is a wonder to behold.

There is sacrifice, pain, friendship, betrayal, loyalty, love and hate. Every emotion and situation are carefully crafted into one astounding adventure book. I had never read anything quite like it back then or now as I re-read it for about the sixth time.

It is, in my bias opinion, one of the best books ever. If you read only one book a year, make sure you find the time for this one.

Yes, I will read it again and then again. It is that good.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.