Slareck's Reviews > Think on These Things

Think on These Things by Jiddu Krishnamurti

U_50x66
Mar 10, 12

Read from January 09 to March 04, 2012

The only way out of our trap of destructiveness is personal change. And the only way to change is to watch one's thoughts with a keen and open mind and learn how and why one thinks what one does. Doing so will help us drop the loads of useless social and cultural baggage that we are weighed down by. Baggage that comes from our parents and by our culture and by our schools and by our religions. It is this that Krishnamurti says will lead to a revolt because one will be able to see for the first time that it is precisely these pretensions and expectations that cause so much conflict and dissension in society.

He is really not asking much, just to watch and live and be in one's own mind. I think it's true that we all already hold within us the key to personal transformation, we are just not able to see it clearly due to the bog of belief. The antidote to "belief" is experience--I have experience 2+2=4 and so I do not believe it. Krishnamurti is saying that one can experience one's mind by watching, and it will lead to a positive personal transformation.

This liberation is what he claims that education should primarily focus on. Ironically education today does precisely the opposite: it indoctrinates. Krishnamurti posits that individuals have loads of energy that will be destructive if it is not devoted to seeking God, and so society crushes that energy and channels it into meaningless activities. We can only reclaim that energy by becoming aware of our limitations and channeling the energy back into seeking God, which I think is just watching the mind, as God is man in disguise.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think on These Things.