Lianne Burwell's Reviews > Fool Me Twice: Fighting the Assault on Science in America

Fool Me Twice by Shawn Lawrence Otto

Jan 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, library
Read from January 09 to 14, 2012

There was a lot of very interesting information in this book. I especially was interested in the rise and fall of science in the US, and the difference between the attitude of scientist versus tinkerer. I was also very interested by the fact that there used to be a time when Republicans were the party that supported science, while the Democrats were anti-science.

I appreciated the fact that the author doesn't discriminate either. He's perfectly willing to call the scientists out for failing to get people interested in what they do, leading to an attitude in the public that scientists are pseudo-elites and out of touch with the common people. He also credits some religious organizations for supporting scientists. And all levels of government get nailed for ignoring facts in favour of 'faith' when making public policy.

However, I think the book could have used a better structure. The part and chapter divisions are not a problem, but when it's further divided in 1-4 page topics, you tend to get a lot of repetition. In fact, it feels a bit like a bunch of blog posts strung together.

Still, there's a lot of interesting information packing into the 300+ pages, and I enjoyed it, even if it made me angry at times, especially, since I can see Canada heading in the same direction these days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool Me Twice.