Valerie's Reviews > The Soulkeepers

it was ok
Recommended to Valerie by: My Kindle Fire
Recommended for: No one
Read from January 09 to 13, 2012

I downloaded this because I happened to see it as a free Kindle book and, at that time, I had only out of copyright books, so once I finished my one purchase, I moved on to this.

It was ok. It really took a different direction than what the teaser would have you think it would. For those complaining about it being too religious, I just have to say it's more fantasy than religion. This is not a Christian fiction book. The author chose to take a few items that do match up with what Christianity teaches and mix it with a bunch of made-up legend. Of course, that is the nature of a fiction book. However, calling this book Christian is not an accurate statement. Besides that, there were a lot of continuity issues and plot devices that didn't make any sense or were completely unbelievable (even within the realm of fantasy). Furthermore, to be calling herself a Christian, one of the main characters was pretty ignorant and, at times, Jacob, our main character, was just plain pretty stupid.

One thing that really got on my nerves, 'cause these things bother me, was the apparently lack of either an editor with half a brain or one that only used spell check. There were at least two counts of using "breath" instead of "breathe." One of my pet peeves. "Jacob could hardly breath." It really drove me crazy. There were also several spelling errors that I noticed and even at least one place where the complete wrong word was inserted, rendering the sentence unintelligible unless you could guess what word was supposed to go there. Finally, there was even a place where we were reading about "she" and it took me a bit to realize who "she" was - "she" was not introduced into the paragraph until the second or third sentence.

Oh, one other thing... "Watchers..." Really!? That makes them sound so helpless and ridiculous. Call them what they are supposed to be: demons. "Watchers" does not convey the evilness of the characters, it's really laughable.

Editing mistakes and continuity issues aside, I don't guess this was completely horrible, just very hard to swallow the newly-introduced and cliche legend. I found myself continuing to read just on the basis that I usually try to finish what I start, and I did want to see where the story went. At the end of the book, there was a preview of Book 2, the first chapter. It looks like it's going to be the same cliche stuff. So I would not call this horrible but I don't plan on reading any more of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soulkeepers.