Alison's Reviews > Undermountain

Undermountain by Eric Edstrom

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, kindle-books
Read from February 02 to 11, 2012

Wow. What a surprising read. I can honestly say that I was quite speachless when I finished reading this book. And in a good way. It has a very interesting storyline, great action, very well written characters and one hell of a journey!

It takes place in the Canadian Rockies where we have 6 kids and a grumpy old guide out on a 10 day hike. Needless to say it doesn't take long before the hike turns into a nightmare, one filled with bigfeet and monsters and a huge underground civilisation (or Undermountain as it is properly named).

Sound strange? Well at first that's what I thought, but eventually I totally forgot that bigfoot wasn't real becuase it was just written so... brilliantly. This was a very well thought out world and civilisation, and it just felt so real. I loved the underground world of the bigfeet. It was just so creative and different, it put a smile on my face to read about these creatures.

I also loved the other 'fantastical' creatures in this story, the Tangoga. It was interesting to see their interactions because the Tangoga have 2 heads. One of which is the primary head, the more cleaver of the two which likes to tell the other head to shut up a lot. This was pure brilliance. It added some great lightness to the story line and I found myself chuckling out loud quite a few times from the Tangoga's bickering.

The storyline its self is fast paced and exciting. There is never a dull moment in the kids attempts to escape from Undermountain and things only get more heated when they uncover plots by both the bigfeet AND the Tangoga to take control of the human population on the surface.

Lastly, I must praise the great characters in this story. From Harvin the guide to Daniel and the other kids, they all had their own story and background that added to the adventure. Individually they were very well written and easy to relate to. And by the end of the story, I felt like I knew exactly why they all acted the way they did and it was good to see them all grow in their separate ways.

Overall, a very good book indeed. If you're looking for a YA sci fi action/adventure with a twist, Undermountain is a must have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undermountain.

02/02/2012
02/07/2012
63.0% "Who'd have thought I could become so engrossed in a story about bigfoots!!!"
show 8 hidden updates…