Viraj's Reviews > Dude, Where's My Country?

Dude, Where's My Country? by Michael Moore

Jun 29, 08

Read in June, 2008

This book is overall anti-Bush, anti-republican. The author’s tone is of sarcasm and is towards getting some laughs; however, it defeats the purpose. It is probably ok to have the tone while making a point in a video, as is seen in his movie Sicko; however, had this book been better written, a thorough study of the subject indicated by the non-standard format bibliography / reference, would have been more effective. Independent of whether I agree or not with the thoughts, the book is bad to read. It came to me as a whiny author’s book. With that being said, some content however is pretty disturbing i.e. near page 148:
- Dead Peasants Insurance: Companies listed themselves as default beneficiaries in the insurance documents.
- Senior Death Discount: When EPA calculated $3.7M as a value of a life to charge companies producing pollution to calculate how many people will die due to pollution and its impact. To reduce the costs, they were made to make amendment making 70+ folks to be listed as $2.3 million. This reduced the costs for the companies; however, the fundamental principle that every human’s life is one unit is not followed.
Such things, if true, are disturbing and probably inhumane. The book therefore is good, however, since it is overall a badly written text, gets a one star.
NOTE: I “listened” to this in the audiobook format (while driving), therefore don’t have a summary, but have a review…
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dude, Where's My Country?.