Sierra Abrams's Reviews > New Girl

New Girl by Paige Harbison

UGH. I can't believe this book. The sexual content made me want to barf and there was way too much language and the ending totally left me unsatisfied and irritated. I hated Max, "new girl" was just super flat, and I suppose I strongly disliked everyone else as well.

Too bad. Tooooo bad. At least there's still the amazing original "Rebecca" story, untainted by stupid high school girls and getting drunk and having sex to break someone's heart.

Don't waste your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Girl.

01/12/2012 page 2
1.0% "Retelling of "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier? I'm down. :D"
01/13/2012 page 91
30.0% "Not exactly happy with the content of this one... :/"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Small Review Aw, too bad! I liked this one a lot. I completely agree though, I REALLY could have done without all of the sexual content.

Sierra Abrams Small Review wrote: "Aw, too bad! I liked this one a lot. I completely agree though, I REALLY could have done without all of the sexual content."

I know!! I'm so bummed... And yah, what was with the overload of sex? I didn't need that to know she was a bad girl.
I wish I didn't have such strong and negative feelings about this one... :(

Small Review I know :( I was even more disappointed about it because I would have loved to have been able to give this to my library kids (a bunch of them were assigned Rebecca to read for school this year), but I can't give them this book with all that sex in it! I'd be afraid their parents would kill me! It's not even like it's the presence of sex alone, but it was done in such a crude way.

I do think it served a point in showing Becca's mental state and how little regard she had for herself. She used sex to manipulate others, but she also didn't seem to respect herself at all and her sexual actions made that uncomfortably clear. So it was effective, I thought, but maybe I didn't need to read it quite so graphically described?

Sierra Abrams Oh I totally agree! She could have effectively portrayed her mental state without the sex scenes every 20 pages. And then when she took it waaaay too far (do you know what I'm talking about?) and Max just stood there and let her. That was about the part when I started skimming. I don't know, he just made me mad. Haha! The original Max was such a respectable guy! But oh well, at least the original is still, and always will be, amazing. ;)

Small Review Oh, do you mean the scene where (view spoiler) Or a different part?

I didn't like Max at all, but I didn't love the original Max either (but this new Max is worse!) I started disliking Max as soon as he (view spoiler) That's when I knew I wasn't going to be swooning over him.

Sierra Abrams I mean in New Girl, when Becca and Max were together and it was where Max was using her, allowing her to do things, just in a different way than she had before.

I didn't like the original Max at first because he apparently (view spoiler). But after a few (view spoiler), I quickly grew to love him. But yeah, this new Max was infuriating. He had so many opportunities to draw the line, but it seemed like he liked what she was doing too much, which kind of grosses me out. haha