Lisa Kay's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Ashmole 782?
description

★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I’ll be honest and say it took me several attempts at this one. After failing three times, I just put the audiobook in the car; I figured there I would be a captive audience. I was really beginning to wonder how this book ever received GoodReads’ Romance of the Year Award. However, I ended up loving it and wanting to go out to do my errands just to listen to the story. Eventually, I had my iPod in my ears while I did my grocery shopping. It is wonderful. Yes, I borrowed the Kindle version from my library to reference certain sections; while there is just one plotline going on, it is complicated.

While the story is spellbinding, Jennifer Ikeda’s fabulous narration is something I didn’t appreciate until the book started introducing so many international characters. Ms. Ikeda does a great job on all the accents: American, English, Indian, Australian, Scottish, French, Italian . . . I lost count of them all in the 24 hours it took for her to read this novel. When there are multiple people from one dialect, she manages to differentiate their voices, which is no small task. Regardless of a character’s mood or tone, she doesn’t slip. She elevates the whole book, IMHO.

I loved Diana and Matthew’s love story! And I loved Diana’s gradual unearthing and acceptance of her heritage after her serendipitous discovery of a palimpsest known as Ashmole 782 among the eleven million rare manuscripts in the Bodleian Library of Oxford University.

Can’t wait for July and the next book in the All Souls Trilogy!

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

I was trying to decide if I should listen to this one audio or not. Going to the Brick & Mortar Public Library is a pain, now that I've been spoiled by downloadable audiobooks. Plus, I would have to transfer all those CDs (twenty!) to my iPod/Touch. Then Xe sent me the link to this blog review: The Oddiophile. Some people are just so darn clever! LOL! Thanks Xe!

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Deborah Harkness
“Sorry, we've got ghosts.”

Deborah Harkness
“These days vampires gravitated toward particle accelerators, projects to decode the genome, and molecular biology. Once they had flocked to alchemy, anatomy, and electricity. If it went bang, involved blood, or promised to unlock the secrets of the universe, there was sure to be a vampire around.”

Deborah Harkness
“Are you smelling me?” After yesterday I suspected that my body was giving him all kinds of information I didn't want him to have.

“Don't tempt me,” he murmured.”

Deborah Harkness
“And happiness is always louder than sadness.”

Deborah Harkness
“It is a blessing as well as a burden to love so much that you can hurt so badly when love is gone.”

Deborah Harkness
“Yes, I see that you are behaving like a prince but that doesn't mean you won't behave like a devil at the first opportunity.”

Deborah Harkness
“The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed (Albert Einstein)”

Deborah Harkness
“Se Souvenir du passe, et qu'il ya un avenir: Remember the past, and that there is a future.”
tags: past

Deborah Harkness
“I was planning on starting a new file on my computer with the title "Phrases That Sound One Way to Witches but Mean Something Else to Vampires.”

Deborah Harkness
“I want a simple, ordinary life . . . like humans enjoy.”
Deborah Harkness, A Discovery of Witches

02/19/2012 "Just finished the first 3 CDs - only 17 more to go."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tracy This one is also on my list- you'll have to let me know how you like it.. PS I'm an ICU nurse at heart... 10 years. Miss it lots.

ShoSho I loved this book . I think the only reason that it wasn't a 5 star for me was that it was too long. I read the ebook.

Lisa Kay I haven't gotten very far. Real Life is slowing me down.

message 4: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Thanks for the link, Lisa Kay, the flowchart is hilarious! I love it.
I've just added the book in my to-read list. I'll be looking forward to your review.

Lisa Kay Got side-tracked by Real Lift, Anna! Need to get back to this one

Regina Love that flow chart!

message 7: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 06, 2012 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Yeah, pretty clever. I need to get back to this one. I'll probably have to start over and I can't remember what I listened to, LOL!

Regina I definitely have books like that. It is hard when we have to put books aside to accomplish out challenges and buddy reads!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Great review Lisa Kay..I have the book but eagerly awaiting the 2nd to come out before I start.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Sandi! Maybe we should do a "buddy read" - I'd be willing to read -- or listen -- to it again?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Lisa Kay wrote: "Thanks, Sandi! Maybe we should do a "buddy read" - I'd be willing to read -- or listen -- to it again?"

To the 1st book? Would love to! You say the second is coming out in july? III have to check when its coming here..and let me know when its good for you for a re-read..look forward to it :)

Lisa Kay Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "To the 1st book? Would love to!"

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Lisa Kay wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "To the 1st book? Would love to!"

Yes, to the first book. Great! Maybe toward the middle or end of June? It is a chunkster, so it should take awhile."

Sounds good...let me know when its good for you,as you are one busy lady!:)

willaful It took me a while to get into the audiobook too. Really enjoyed it, in the end.

Lisa Kay Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Sounds good...let me know when its good for you,as you are one busy lady!:)"

Will do, Sandi!

Lisa Kay willaful wrote: "It took me a while to get into the audiobook too. Really enjoyed it, in the end."

Me too, Willa!

message 17: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. Nice review. I'm looking into this one.

message 18: by Lisa Kay (last edited Apr 29, 2012 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Thanks! I hope you enjoy it, Brittany.

message 19: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. I am in a BDB marathon. On #9 and only one left... I'll need good audiobooks after I finish. I'll go into BDB depression. :)

message 20: by Gin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gin I felt the same way about this one. It was real slow at first and I was kind of unsure and kept putting it down. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I fell in love and couldn't put it down! Glad you enjoyed it also, Lisa Kay.

Lisa Kay Brittany B. wrote: "I am in a BDB marathon. On #9 and only one left... I'll need good audiobooks after I finish. I'll go into BDB depression. :)"

I hope this one helps fill the void, Brittany!

Lisa Kay Gin wrote: "All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I fell in love and couldn't put it down!"

Yes, Gin, that was the way it was - exactly!

message 23: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Lisa Kay. Audible is having a sale and this is one of the books they are featuring. I'm debating...should I, or shouldn't I??

message 24: by Rachael C. (new) - added it

Rachael C. LIsa Kay, I'm trying to pick from your "all time favorites" list for the NBRC September Takeover challenge and this is one of the top contenders. Question - I, like you, have started reading it before but put it down. So I'm wondering how long it took you on your final try to get past that point of no return where you finally fell in love with the book?

Lisa Kay Karla wrote: "Great review Lisa Kay. Audible is having a sale and this is one of the books they are featuring. I'm debating...should I, or shouldn't I??"

Sorry, Karla! Just saw this. I say, "buy"!

Lisa Kay Rachael C. wrote: "May I ask if you remember how far into it you were when you knew for certain you wanted to keep reading to finish?"

Okay, but it is a plot spoiler. Not sure of the location... but it is when Diana gets (view spoiler)

message 27: by Rachael C. (new) - added it

Rachael C. Hahaha! How funny, now I have the dilemma whether to read the spoiler or not! I'm sure I will cave, probably by the end of the day. Thanks for the response! :-D

Lisa Kay **snortsnort** Sorry! ☺

message 29: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne As always, Great review Lisa Kay! I'm adding this to my mtn.

Lisa Kay Thanks, KatLynne! Enjoy!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I loved this story! Glad to hear the audio book worked for you. Great review!

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Great review, Lisa Kay! I picked this one up used, but the length is a bit daunting.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Dhes & Jenny!

Lisa Kay But... Jenny, it is worth it!

♥Robin ♥ Jenny wrote: "Great review, Lisa Kay! I picked this one up used, but the length is a bit daunting."

LOL Jenny...LK is right, it is worth it :) Break it down and read XX pages every day and you will get through it in no time :)

Tracy Lisa- I was struggling too until the same point where you got hooked. Now I'm really enjoying it! Is the second book any good??