Rachel's Reviews > Cry, the Beloved Country

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton

Sep 16, 08

bookshelves: book-group
Recommended to Rachel by: my mom
Recommended for: Chanelle
Read in September, 2008

Profound story of a humble Pastor who's son murders the son of a great man, set in apartheid Johannesburg, South Africa in the 40s. Simply written w/ great insights and poingnant scenes. I loved it, but since it was my book group book, I hesitate to rave too loudly by rating it a 5 star book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry, the Beloved Country.

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey This one is pretty good but a little depressing; I would give a 5 to his book Too Late the Phalarope which Tanya and I loved.

Rachel Is this on your own reads? Depending on how this one goes, I may be interested in the one you're suggesting.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey I havent filled in my own reads yet; I have atleast 100 and just don't have time to do it yet!

Megan It's okay too rave. It's a great book. Depresssing, yes. But I believe the author still left us with hope for his country (in the children of each son).

Rachel Good insight Megan. Truly it is the coming generation that was the hope of South Africa.

Chanelle I too have read this and gave it four stars. It was interesting for the insight it gave into the culture of South Africa.

Danna Iloved it for the story, but especially for the lyricism of Paton's prose. What else has Paton written?