Gwynn White's Reviews > The Storm Begins

The Storm Begins by Damian Dibben

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: hated-it, time-travel, adventure, magic

To be honest, I thought this book was awful. The plot line is intriguing, which was why I bought it, but the writing...and the characters... Oh dear!
I found the dialogue silted - both the modern and back-in-time. It was as if he was forcing the story on us through the dialogue. His descriptions - especially in the crucial escape scene - left me reeling with confusion. I still done know how Jake and co. got out of there. Once into the book, I found the plot weak. And as for the characters. Honestly, there is not one I can say I like. They were shallow and poorly developed. The writer's voice - as apposed to the narrator's voice - screamed through with the development of his characters. The writer was literally telling me what to think about them, instead of allowing them to develop through action and dialogue. Dibben keeps telling me how alluring, beautiful and smart Topaz is, but none of her actions support that. And as for Nathan ... a less-likable, more contrived hero, you'd be hard-pressed to find. I hate slating books, because as a writer I know the effort and soul needed to create them (not to mention the courage to publish them - opening ones heart and mind and ego to the critics of the world) but this was one book I that left me disappointed. Sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm Begins.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gareth Lewis This book is wonderful. I think 1 star is really harsh and underserved. It is afterall a childrens book!

Gwynn White Gareth wrote: "This book is wonderful. I think 1 star is really harsh and underserved. It is afterall a childrens book!"

Hi Gareth
Thank goodness tastes differ. Think how boring the world would be if they didn't. Yes, you are quite right, this is a children's book, but that doesn't change my opinion. I still think the dialogue was forced, the author's voice blaring, and the characters weak. Surely children are also entitled to books with full-rounded characters and riveting dialogue? But that is just my view. Thank you reading and commenting on my review.

Akash Really good review and i admire the fact you could even write one since the book was so horrible...this book actually deserves 0 stars..

Gwynn White Akash wrote: "Really good review and i admire the fact you could even write one since the book was so horrible...this book actually deserves 0 stars.."

It's horrible to be so disappointed in a book.