Michelle's Reviews > In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Kim Cooper

May 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, art, biographical, books-i-own, non-fiction
Read from January 08 to May 12, 2012

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is the first book in the 33 1/3 series that I've read, although I've seen a number I would be interested in reading. As with all the books in the series, it focuses on a particular band, a particular album. For purposes of covering the short and wondrous career of Neutral Milk Hotel, that's a lot of backstory, and not much epilogue. I think this series is particularly suited toward albums that stand out so strongly, and lack a follow-up record.

Clearly the audience for this series is fans of the album, but for more casual observers, it's still pretty interesting. Details of the recording process, and album art creation, as well as the tie-in with many of the other Elephant 6 bands ad some interest. Discussion of lyrics, and the narrative of "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" establish that Jeff Mangum is pretty much the Angela Carter of 1990s non-commercial rock. Of course, at times the author's love of this album gets a bit distracting, but it is a really good album, and I enjoyed reading more about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

01/08/2012 "finished one of dawn's thoughtful xmas gift books. moving on to jeff's."
show 1 hidden update…