Tina's Reviews > John Adams

John Adams by David McCullough

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: 60-books-in-2012
Read from January 08 to February 07, 2012

As is, I think, common in biographical readings, I end John Adams prefering Adams to his contemporaries. Of all the legends of the Revolution, Adams alone owned no slaves, never lived beyond his means, and remained clear headed in troubled times. Also, my previous favorites of the legends comes off badly as a slave owning man who could not live within his means and supported teh French Revolution even as heads began to roll. So Jeffreson falls a bit in my estimation, but is easily replaced by Adams, a man so full of wisdom I ran out two highlighters marking things to remember.

**********Great Adams Quotes*******************

(In summation of what history will think of the American Revolution) "The essence of the whole will be that Dr. Franklin's electrical rod smote the earth and out spring General Washington [whom Adams suggested as the leader of the army in the Continental Congress]. That Franklin electrified him with his rod..." (p. 420)

"I think instead of opposing systematically any administration, running down their characters and opposing all their measures, right or wrong, we ought to support every administration as far as we can in justice." (p. 594)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Adams.