Beverly's Reviews > The Pledge

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Jan 19, 12

Read in January, 2012

What I liked about the book: The book is beautifully written. Dertling truly exhibits some excellent wordsmithing skills in this story. The plot is well developed and engaging. The pacing is perfect – not too fast, nor too slow. Charlie is a strong female character. She is very mature for a teen, but that’s to be expected in a dystopian novel.

To paraphrase my favorite adult dystopian author Margaret Atwood, "War is what happens when communication fails." Dertling explores the importance of langue (communication) and its impact on society in a very interesting way. It reminded me how often English speakers are guilty of looking down upon those who do not speak English or speak it poorly.

I enjoyed that there was a little bit of mystery about Charlie. Where did she get her strange ability? (Yes, we do found out before the book ends, but I won’t spoil it for you.) If you like young adult dystopian novels with strong female characters, I strongly recommend you read this book.

What I didn’t like about the book: I seem to be in the minority, but I really didn’t like the cover. It doesn’t do the story justice. I also didn’t like that the book ended. From what I can gather from Dertling’s website, this is a stand-alone book. I would love to read more about the characters in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pledge.

01/09/2012 page 68