GoldGato's Reviews > The Napoleonic Wars (4): The Fall of the French Empire 1813-1815

The Napoleonic Wars (4) by Gregory Fremont-Barnes

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, war, year-round
Read from January 15 to February 12, 2012

Although this book is about the last years of Napoleon's empire, it really sets the tone for the next 130 years, as it helps to explain the foundation of the French-German rivalry which ended up costing the planet two World Wars. Thus, it's an excellent read to see how one blunder can lead to a future destiny of sorts.

This book is short but packed with quite a bit, so it was an enjoyable read. The battles of 1813-1815 between France and the Allied Coalition are detailed with maps, pictures, anecdotes, and chapters on the specific players. Napoleon's weaknesses are clearly outlined, which was quite welcome from the usual godlike bios we normally get. I couldn't give it a full five stars however, as Wellington received short shrift, as though he wasn't there. But everything else was quite instructive and now I want to read about the rest of the 19th century conflicts and the end of calvary charges and stiff upper lips.

Book Season = Year Round

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Napoleonic Wars (4).

01/25/2012 page 23